"Photo of the Week"
This week: "The Center of the 'Ville"
Posted September 15, 2021
This week: "Halltown & Indian Pond Schools"
Posted September 7, 2021
This week: "School Days at the Ville School"
Posted August 30, 2021
Front view of the Ville schoolhouse built in 1898 (photo circa 1915). The building was built for $2000 after several failed attempts at previous School Meetings, finally passing when the same amount was appropriated to purchase and fix up the old Academy building at the Street for those pupils.
Primary classroom (grades 1-4) in the Ville schoolhouse, 22 students seated with teacher. It looks like the younger students are on the right side nearer the teacher. Prints of Washington and Teddy Roosevelt at the left but have not been able to make out the other framed print. Likely between 1910-1920.
Grammar classroom (grades 5-8) in the Ville schoolhouse, 21 students seated and perhaps the teaching front of the window in the middle rear. The boy in the foreground is almost certainly Sam Morrison, Jr., then living on the Marston Stock Farm (Schwarz 2021). Photo is circa 1908, and it looks like Cram’s Modern Atlas on the desk.
“School Team” – 7 students in a wagon (or the original “school bus”) in the driveway of the Marston Stock Farm (Schwartz 2021), driven by Moses Bean. The girl in the middle with the darkest hair is Gladys Huckins (Helen Huckins Marsh’s aunt).
Additional note – the barns and all the buildings on the north side of the road burned in 1937.
Christmas tree in the corner of the school room in the Ville schoolhouse. You will notice names on the tree. Students likely selected names and bought presents for each other.
"The Old Brick School at the Ville"
Posted August 23, 2021
Old brick schoolhouse at Orfordville, looking northwest from road.
Looking south, corner on new school just visible in the background.
Looking east from the foot of Dame Hill, old brick schoolhouse and waterbox (left), bandstand in the triangle heading up Dame Hill (right).
Summer Camp Photo Series: Camp Kaiora, BSA Camp, and moving camp trunks
Posted August 16, 2021
Camp Kaiora (circa 1955)
Waterfront at BSA Camp on Indian Pond
Summer Camp Photo Series: Sunset Ranch Camp
Posted August 9, 2021
Sunset Ranch Camp Founders: Pat & Bud Durham
Saturday Night Social
Camp Reunion in NYC
Summer Camp Photo Series: Camp Merriwood
Posted August 2, 2021
Moving of a "Dog House" (circa 1948)
How do those Dog Houses look now?
This is one of the dog houses (albeit with a few additions) from 2018!
Cabins in Winer (2020)
Campers (circa 1949)
Summer Camp Photo Series: Camp Lauroweld
(all photos circa 1949)
Posted July 26, 2021
Stories by the Fire
Summer Camp Photo Series: Camp Norchunkaw
(all photos circa 1925-1926)
Posted July 19, 2021
Mrs. Patricia Ryan
Art Studio & Music Studio
Expenses & Terms
Season of 1926
Dining & Recreation Hall
A Day's Activities
"The Saturday Evening Post" Cover
with Newsome Pemi
Camp Pemi Founders (circa 1910)
Lodge, Tennis Courts, and Senior Cabins
"Bird's Eye View" (circa 1910)
Campers at Beach (circa 1920)
Camp in Winter (circa 1960)
Campers (circa 1911)
Brochure from 1920
Mess Hall (circa 1920)
Sailing Canoe (circa 1920)
Manure spreading in spring - Manure was originally put in a dumpcart, hauled to the field and dumped, then spread with a dung fork in the spring. The spreader was a revolutionary invention, as was the front-end loader for the tractor.
Posted May 19, 2021
Sheep and spring lambs at Morrison Farm
Posted May 11, 2021
Howard and Gerald Pease with twin calves (a rarity!) circa 1940
Posted April 23, 2021
Glenn Pease in the door of the new sugarhouse in 1929
Posted April 15, 2021
Francis Pease gathering sap on snowshoes
Horses in front of the camp with buckets and covers, ready to go tapping (circa 1970s)
Three women and two men outside the Marston Stock Farm sugarhouse (c. 1915)
Posted April 7, 2021
One girl, two men, and a team of horses in front of the Marston Stock Farm sugarhouse (c. 1915)
Lewis and Priscilla at the Franklin Farm Sugarhouse c.1947
Posted March 31, 2021
Ruby standing in the Franklin Farm Sugarhouse door c.1947
Exterior view of the Franklin Farm Sugarhouse c.1947
First snow at Morrison's
Posted March 10, 2021
Looking toward Mt. Cube from the road in front of Morrison's
Orfordville store in winter with three sleighs (c. 1910)
Hereford bull in snow at the Marston Farm Annex. This is on Lower street, what is now Peyton Place. Harry Morrison moved here for a few years in the late nineteen-teens. (Check out the Fairlee cliffs in the distance!)
Posted March 2, 2021
The boys at Morrison’s with two yoke of steers pulling a sled with wood.
Man, woman, dog with one-horse sleigh. Note long set of bells around horse's belly.
Posted February 23, 2021
Bobsled with two men on box/seat pulled by one horse, in front of shed at Morrison's.
Three yoke of oxen pulling a
double scoot with logs
Posted February 17, 2021
Two teams of horses pulling a long bob-sled with a load of poplar trees
This photo comes to us from Walter Carl Kenyon Jr. whose great-grandfather, Walter Carl Kenyon, is from Orford. This photo is of his great-grandfather standing out front of his store with two other gentlemen (unknown). His grandfather, Mumford Kenyon, was born right upstairs!
Posted February 10, 2021
Gas Station formerly on the corner of Route 10 and Bridge Street
Posted February 2, 2021
Orfordville circa 1909
Posted January 26, 2021
1936 Orford Flood
Taken from Bridge Street, looking north - behind the houses on the west side of north Main Street
Posted January 19, 2021
In December we posted a series of photos with questions about them, and revealed the answers in January!
Posted December 15, 2020
Gale, Pete and Dave Thomson, taken in 1944 before they moved to Orford.
Christmas Tree in the old brick schoolhouse in Orfordville, on the site of the present library.
Mel, Pete and Dave Thomson, taken in 1944 before they moved to Orford.
Pease Family Holidays from 1951.
Mary Tullar and Alice Franklin with Camera, January 1906
The only photo of a camera in our collection (it's in the right hand of the woman to the right)! The two women pictured are Mary Tullar (Rendell's great-aunt) and Alice Franklin (who married George Baker and lived on the farm now owned by the Taylors on Indian Pond Road).
If the photo isn't great by itself, here are a few news clippings from the "United Opinion" out of Bradford, VT from January 19, 1906 to go alongside -
"Mrs. Morrison, Mrs. Horton, Miss Tullar and Alice Franklin have cameras and have fine success taking and finishing pictures."
"The latest fad with some right now is the picture fad and if we don't all have our picture taken it won't be our fault."
A fad it was! If they could only see us today with our social media selfies!
Deer Hunting Series circa 1910 - 1920
This Orford Historical Society glass plate collection was mostly take by folks at the Marston Stock Farm, owned by Harry Morrison.
Posted November 24, 2020
Two Men with Deer
Note the chopping block visible on the left under the canvas!
Shooting from Horse,
Identified as Sam Morrison, Harry Morrison's son - may or may not be deer hunting!
Deer Camp with Doe
Eugene Cross with Deer
Eugene Cross worked for Harry Morrison.
Eugene Cross with Deer (2)
Deer Hunters & Charles Cushman
Eugene Cross pictured left, Charles Cushman pictured with dog at his feet right.
Clifford's Store circa 1965
(formerly Tillotson & Cushman)
Charlie Clifford is pictured standing on the front porch, who owned the store from 1947-1976. Now the location of Patterson's Grocery & Deli!
Posted November 17, 2020
Photo of the bridge over the Connecticut River circa 1913
Certainly looks different today!
Posted November 10, 2020